Monday, August 6, 2012

Internship Adventures

Allrighty. Today has officially (sorry I seem to use this word a lot) been Day 43. Less than two weeks left here! D: Oh nooooooes.

I do want to keep you all updated with what is currently happening while also sharing some of the great past experiences I've had. So bear with the time difference of what will follow for the next few posts.

Today in a nutshell:
Couldn't find my subway transport card, so I left the dorm late, was running behind schedule, showed up at the first place Google Maps suggested I should go (I planned ahead I promise) but nothing was there, went to the other place Google Maps suggested and that building looked pretty official with "Holt" (the adoption agency's name) all over it but there were also signs all over that I accurately guess-translated as "We've moved". There was one little map thing, which inspired my last post... It had what I assumed was the old office-representing-dot, and two common bank dots for my "landmarks", and a line representing an intersection that DOES NOT EXIST, and another dot for the new office.

I wandered. I wandered a lot.

I searched around in the absurdly hot weather, sweating in my fancy internship-I'm-serious-about-work-clothes that were only slightly wrinkled from lack of wear but becoming increasingly sweaty, and I shouted aloud in victory when I found the new office.

I was only 20ish minutes late... my first day....

Sorry, speeding things up, I show up at the office, the kind lady was disappointed in my non-fluency of Korean, called a bunch of other branches, finally decided to just throw me in the nursery, gave me a tour of said nursery (WHERE SEVEN OF THE CUTEST BABIES RESIDE), introduced me to the people there, gave me some gifts, told me to come much earlier tomorrow, and set me free.

So my work day was about 10:50-12:15 today. Not bad huh? And I get to spend my final days with BABIES! wjgiaowe;gfhof;jGBAFOQfwo;f ~~!! <- Excitement

I bet I'll be sick of diapers and crying pretty soon, but those babies are CUTE so I will strive on!
(Rough life huh?)

I did some errands, boring boring. Went to the fitness room at a different time and discovered a whole new crowd (a bunch of stick-thin girls rotated in and out of the room after measuring their weight on the scale, and staring at themselves in the mirror, some of them stayed to walk on the treadmills a bit) and for several hours after that, every time I looked in the mirror I was convinced that I was a giant.


OKAY.
Just have to express further frustration with the billions of couples I'm surrounded by every day. STOP IT. I've seen girls seriously dabbing the sweat off of their boyfriend's faces at street corners and fixing their hair. And guys stopping in the middle of the street to tie their girlfriend's shoes. AND SO MANY COUPLE SHIRTS/SHOES/HATS/EVERYTHING. Really. I think you all make it pretty obvious the way you all cling to each other as if some evil foreigner will snatch your beloved away on the subway and giggle and poke each other on the escalator where I cannot escape your sugary bliss - DO YOU REALLY NEED MATCHING EVERYTHING TOO? Really? Really. REALLY??? I can see that you are together. No really. I can. IT'S OBVIOUS. You do not need matching flashing shoes or matching bright yellow pink-heart speckled shirts to make it more obvious. I mean really.

This has been "Really?" with Gabby, and her lonely, single, alter-ego Gabby.
FYI the real Gabby is an independent woman who is not moved by the overwhelming love surrounding her... not moved I say!



Sorry I probably won't get to retelling the actual interviews for my film project in this post (SOMEDAY I promise it's coming), but here is a very funny event that happened on the way:

While on a bus to another shooting/interview there was a really adorable little boy who was the only one talking on the bus. I guess on most public transportation loud talking/riff-raff is generally not approved of, but this little boy was really cute. He must've been 4 or 5. He was asking his dad questions about everything he saw through the window in a loud, high-pitched voice that was even higher because of his enthusiasm and curiosity. He was sitting on his father's lap and his father constantly tried to shush him. Eventually the person sitting next to them got off, so the boy was placed in the aisle seat probably with the hope that there wouldn't be anything else for him to question from this new position.
I was sitting across from him in the aisle...
So when this adorable little boy started to scan his new environment and we made eye contact, I instinctually smiled into those cute eyes, which is something most Koreans don't do, particularly on this bus.
The boy was completely enraptured by my beauty. Haha, kidding. He was probably shocked. Or terrified.
He immediately turned to his father and asked in a somewhat lowered voice, "누구야? 뭐야?"
I quickly turned away and tried not to laugh out loud. He asked his father "Who is that? (do you know her?) What is that?"
His dad hushed him again. And I spent the rest of the bus ride trying not look at the boy who wanted to figure out what the heck this monster lady was. I'm a sucker for curious kids. They are so refreshing compared to everyone else here that just stares for a long moment then ignores me...

Sigh. It's bedtime! More exciting posts to come I promise!
TOMORROW IS BABY DAY! :DD

- Me, 성냥개비


No comments:

Post a Comment